ORT UK Operations, Events & Marketing Internship
Hours: Monday – Thursday – 9am – 5pm
Location: Combination of office based and remote working
Contract: October 2021 – 1 month minimum to be reviewed
Are you looking for an exciting and unique opportunity to learn, develop and enhance your skills and experience? Are you keen to learn more about one of the UK’s longest established Jewish charities, whilst also making a difference to young people living around the world?
Then an internship with ORT UK could be just what you are looking for.
With tailored training and hands on experience, you’ll be part of our amazing and inspiring team. With the chance to network with people across all areas of ORT UK and World ORT, we will help you develop new skills, discover your strengths, and progress your career. This role would suit a graduate looking to gain experience in the charity sector, fundraising and marketing.
ORT UK is the UK arm of World ORT, the world’s largest Jewish education and training charity. Founded in St Petersburg in 1880, ORT has been educating people for 141 years with the knowledge and skills they need to gain employment and so support themselves, their families, and their communities. Currently operating in more than 30 countries, ORT helps vulnerable communities to become self-sufficient, breaking the cycle of poverty and charitable dependence. Our focus is on making an Impact Through Education and helping young people bridge the gap between opportunity and ability.
Since 1921 ORT UK (formerly British ORT) has been supporting World ORT projects around the world, raising much-needed funds via events and direct fundraising. The key geographical areas of focus for ORT UK’s work are Israel and the former Soviet Union. You can view ORT UK’s heritage video here.
In addition, our flagship UK programme, ORT JUMP, is a career mentoring programme for students in Year 12. Established in 2009, the programme currently runs in 14 schools, with over 300 Year 12 students registered already this year. Hundreds of mentors in a variety of industries take part, assisting students to realise their true potential and achieve their ultimate career ambitions.
We also run NXT – our lay leadership development programme and thORTs, for young professionals.
- Assisting with DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks for all mentors with guidance from the ORT JUMP team.
- Working with the ORT JUMP team to quickly research and grow the mentor database.
- Ensure that the ORT JUMP section of the website is continuously updated and improved.
- Assisting the ORT JUMP team with day-to-day administrative tasks.
Events & Marketing responsibilities:
- Assisting the Head of Events in the build-up to the ORT UK Gala Dinner, which takes place on November 16th.
- Working with the ORT UK and World ORT Marketing Department to help grow and develop our social media presence.
- Helping to promote ORT UK campaigns, projects and events.
- Contributing to the creation of an online community within our student body via our social media accounts.
As part of this mission on social media, you will be supported to:
- Develop the social media editorial calendar
- Source and write stories and create a series of stories (ORT students, ORT staff portraits, ORT History #tbt, etc.)
- Design visuals using programmes such as Canva, Crello and Animoto
- Brainstorm and implement social media content
Ideal candidate profile
Applicants must have some experience in organising events, as well as a professional phone manner and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office) and able to learn new programmes quickly (databases, etc.)
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong organisational abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Interest in a career in a non-profit organisation
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
What ORT UK will provide:
Our internship scheme is designed to develop and nurture talent and we will support you every step of the way. It will put you in a great position to get started if you’re considering a career in the charity sector.
We will ensure regular management and create a development plan with you to enable you to have the opportunity to gain the skills necessary to make the next steps in your career.
You will have the chance to work on your own individual projects to give you a sense of ownership over the work you produce, as well as the chance to participate and add value on team fundraising projects and events.
During your time with us, we hope you will gain experience within this sector and the work force and this will stand you in good stead for your future endeavours.
The finer details:
Our internship will run 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday) within normal office hours (9am – 5pm) and based in our office in Hendon or working remotely. There will be occasional out of office hours and TOIL will be provided.
We would like our intern to be with us for a minimum of one month, starting in October 2021.
For more information or to apply, send a short cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org