Days: Monday – Thursday
Hours: 9am – 5.30pm
Location: ORT House, Camden
Contract: August – December (exact start and end tbc)
Are you looking for an exciting and unique opportunity to learn, develop and enhance your skills and experience? Are you keen to learn more about one of the UK’s longest established Jewish charities whilst also making a difference to young people living around the world?
Then an Internship with ORT UK could be just what you are looking for.
With tailored training and hands on experience, you’ll be part of our amazing and inspiring team. With the chance to network with people across all areas of ORT UK and World ORT, we will help you develop new skills and discover your strengths, and progress your career. This role would suit a university leaver looking to gain experience in fundraising and/or marketing.
ORT UK is the UK arm of World ORT, the world’s largest Jewish education and training charity. Founded in St Petersburg in 1880, ORT has been educating people for 139 years with the knowledge and skills they need to gain employment and so support themselves, their families and their communities. Currently operating in more than 30 countries, ORT helps vulnerable communities to become self-sufficient, breaking the cycle of poverty and charitable dependence. Our focus is on making an ‘Impact Through Education’ and helping young people Bridge the Gap between Opportunity and Ability.
Since 1921 ORT UK (formerly British ORT) has been supporting World ORT projects around the world, raising much-needed funds via events and direct fundraising. The key geographical areas of focus for ORT UK’s work are Israel and the former Soviet Union.
In addition our flagship UK programme – ORT JUMP is a career mentoring programme for students in Year 12. Established in 2009 with 25 students at two schools the programme currently runs in six Jewish secondary schools in London, four state schools in the Borough of Camden and one state school in the Borough of Barnet, with almost 250 students each year. Every year hundreds of mentors in a variety of industries take part, assisting students to realise their true potential and achieve their ultimate career ambitions.
1) Working with the fundraising department to help organise events and providing lay leaders with updates where appropriate.
2) Working with the fundraising department to help ORT UK create and form a Young ORT UK committee with a view to organising profile building events.
3) Working with the ORT JUMP department to help devise an alumni programme, meeting with existing and former Jump participants to help ORT UK plan how we can better engage our alumni.
4) Working with two students we are sending for the first time to participate in the International Digital Skills Academy in Bulgaria; to create an ambassador programme when they return and helping us promote the programme for 2020.
5) Working with the ORT UK and World ORT Marketing Department to help grow and develop our social media presence.
Our expectations of your time would be to contribute in creating an online community within our student body via our social media accounts. As part of this mission on social media, you will be supported to:
• Develop the social media editorial calendar
• Source and write stories and create a series of stories (ORT students, ORT staff portraits, ORT History #tbt, etc.)
• Design visuals using programs such as Canva, Crello and Animoto
• Brainstorm and implement social media content
• Your internship will also include organising, tagging and categorising a bank of ORT images and general support to the marketing department.
Ideal candidate profile
Applicants must have some experience in organising events, as well as a professional phone and personal manner, and the ability to work as part of a team.
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office) and able to learn new programs quickly (databases, etc.)
• Outstanding attention to detail
• Strong organizational abilities
• Ability to operate standard office equipment (fax, photocopier, etc.)
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks
• Interest in a non-profit career
• Ability to show initiative and work independently
What ORT UK will provide:
Our internship scheme is designed to develop and nurture talent and we will support you every step of the way. It will put you in a great position to get started if you’re considering a career in the charity sector.
We will ensure regular management and create a development plan with you to enable you to have the opportunity to gain the skills necessary to make the next steps in your career.
You will have the chance to work on your own individual projects to give you a sense of ownership over the work you produce, as well as the chance to participate and add value on team fundraising projects and events.
During your time with us we hope you will gain experience within this sector and the work force and this will stand you in good stead for your future endeavours.
The finer details:
Our internship will run 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday) within normal office hours (9am – 5.30pm) and based in our office in Camden. There will be occasional out of office hours and TOIL will be provided.
We would like our internship to be with us for a minimum of three months, with an ideal start date in August 2019.
For more information or to apply send a short cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org