Sector: Not for profit
Hours: Full time (will consider 4 days a week)
Salary: Competitive (commensurate on experience)
ORT UK is looking for a strategic development professional to be our Head of Events who will be responsible for all of our major events, as well as stewardship and cultivation of existing and new donors at our events. Working alongside the Chief Executive, Board of Trustees, and others to raise the substantial funds required to fund ORT projects in Israel and the Former Soviet Union.
We are looking for someone who can help assist with the leadership across the fundraising team and to help drive income generation, grow the ORT UK supporter base and raise the profile and awareness of ORT UK and the work of World ORT.
ORT UK is the UK arm of World ORT, the world’s largest Jewish education and training charity. Founded in St Petersburg in 1880, ORT has been educating people for 139 years with the knowledge and skills they need to gain employment and so support themselves, their families and their communities. Currently operating in more than 30 countries, ORT helps vulnerable communities to become self-sufficient, breaking the cycle of poverty and charitable dependence. Our focus is on making an ‘Impact Through Education’ and helping young people Bridge the Gap between Opportunity and Ability.
Since 1921 ORT UK (formerly British ORT) has been supporting World ORT projects around the world, raising much-needed funds via events and direct fundraising. The key geographical areas of focus for ORT UK’s work are Israel and the former Soviet Union. To see ORT in action please see these 3 short videos: Israel – FSU – International
In addition our flagship UK programme – ORT JUMP is a career mentoring programme for students in Year 12. Established in 2009 with 25 students at two schools the programme currently runs in six Jewish secondary schools in London, four state schools in the Borough of Camden and one state school in the Borough of Barnet, with almost 250 students each year. Every year hundreds of mentors in a variety of industries take part, assisting students to realise their true potential and achieve their ultimate career ambitions.
• To be responsible for the management, organisation and delivery of all major ORT UK events (currently the Dinner, Business Breakfast, Lunch and Golf Day)
• To increase fundraising from the Jewish community at our events, to take responsibility for appropriate donor stewardship and cultivation, and to work with the Chief Executive in following up potential new donors from ORT UK events
• To assist in raising the profile of ORT UK and the work of World ORT
• To support identification and development of new relationships and profitable new partnerships
• Primary responsibility for all major ORT UK events (currently Dinner, Business Breakfast, Lunch & Golf Day), including devising, planning, budgeting and administering events, working closely with other members of the staff team and trustees to ensure the programme keeps in line with marketing plans, KPIs and budget
• To lead the development of the events strategy, implementing the strategy and managing an annual portfolio of events that will generate significant revenues for the charity, at an acceptable cost of fundraising
• To work with the Chief Executive in following up potential new donors from ORT UK events
• To manage the successful implementation of the events ensuring detailed plans, timelines and KPI’s are in place for all activities and that all events are thoroughly reviewed and improvements implemented.
• To identify opportunities where event participants and their contacts can be encouraged to support the charity across other fundraising disciplines
• To develop marketing materials appropriate for each event working in conjunction with suppliers and marketing/communications staff of ORT UK/World ORT
• To develop and manage a fully integrated marketing strategy for all events using the most cost-effective marketing techniques; maximising digital channels and the use of social media; working with the Communications Officer on web, design and PR and monitoring activity and reporting on this regularly
• To oversee the successful implementation of the customer care and communication plans for all events, in order to minimise drop outs, and maximise net profit, including gift aid income, from each participant
• To work closely with third party event organisers and suppliers to ensure that safe and enjoyable events are delivered. To ensure that the risks associated with all events are identified and managed keeping abreast of health and safety legislation and risk assessment best practice and all events are carried out within the law
• To ensure accurate recording of event participant details and marketing information and to develop reports to enable data and trend analysis
• To support members of the fundraising team, delegating, motivating, training and monitoring work performance as appropriate
• To lead the fundraising team in researching and identify new events that could be added to the portfolio considering market trends, competitor and supporter intelligence and present business cases for approval
Ideal candidate profile
We are seeking applicants who have had experience organising events, looking for a change, or step up in responsibility. Experience working in the Jewish community is preferable but not essential, as is experience working in the charity sector.
ORT UK is going through an exciting time, having recently rebranded to be aligned with World ORT and the rest of the international network, a recently appointed CEO and we are looking for someone who is excited to help take our fundraising activity and profile to the next level.
• Experience in planning high quality events
• Experience of developing strategic plans and controlling budgets
• Experience of setting up, managing and developing external communications, campaigns and events
• Experience of building and maintaining long term relationships with individuals at all levels
• Excellent interpersonal skills including persuasive, diplomatic networking and negotiation skills and ability to represent the organisation effectively at all levels
• Experience of database systems such as Raisers Edge
• Excellent planning, project management and organisational skills, including ability to deliver multiple priorities whilst retaining a thorough attention to detail
• Good strategic, analytical and evaluative skills, including creation of innovative approaches and events
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office) and able to learn new programs quickly (databases, etc.)
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills
For more information or to apply send a short cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 12th July.
This role may involve working out of hours and occasional international travel.